Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Cake

So Brody has been really into killer whales, especially after our trip to SeaWorld in San Diego. So when he said he wanted killer whales for his birthday I knew I had to try and make a killer whale cake. At first I had no clue how I was going to make this cake. After thinking about it for a while I decided to try and make it out of rice krispies so I could mold it a little easier. So I bought all the supplies and started making the cake on Thursday. I decided to do cocoa krispies. I started to mold the whale one batch at a time. It took six batches of rice krispy treats. I started with a big round ball and went from there. I also decided to make a turtle, mostly just so I could practice the different techniques on it so if anything went wrong I wouldn't mess up the big cake. After they were molded I frosted them just like I would a regular cake. Then I did this trick I learned about a couple of years ago. If you take your frosting and put it in the microwave for a little bit it becomes liquidy so you can poor it over your cake and get a smoother finish. So I did that to both cakes and then let them cool over night. The next day I hand piped some of the details and voila we had a turtle and whale cake. The last thing I did was spread blue frosting on the cake boards to make it look like water and we were ready for the party. I was so happy Brody loved the cakes. He's still talking about them :)

Here's the first big ball.

Still not really looking like a whale.

Starting to make a little more progress.

It's a whale!

And a sea turtle.

All frosted up.

This is after I poured the frosting over them.

The finishing details.

We almost lost the turtle after I poured the frosting on him, but I managed to salvage him.

The final product.

Brody giving me the thumbs up!

No comments: