Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wine Room

Well it is finally finished. I finished the touch up paint last night and the wine room is officially done! It feels so good to have this project finished. We owe a HUGE thanks to my dad and Mark for doing the building of the actual structure and installation of the wine racks. Thanks to Matt and Dr. for providing the necessary tools to complete the project. And a big THANKS to Bernd for coming all the way from California to do the finish work on the trim and the molding. We are so happy with the finished project. So here are the long awaited pics of the wine room process. I'm not sure if the pictures do it justice but it looks great and we couldn't be happier with the end result. We look forward to filling it up and enjoying all the great wine it will hold!

So we built the wine room into the corner of the office. It is at 4.5 X 4.5 square room. First we had to knock holes in our brand new walls (Yikes!) and tear up the carpet.

Then we framed and insulated the structure.

Then came the dry wall.

Then we lined the room with tongue and groove pine and had to cut a hole for the air unit that regulates the temperature and humidity.

My Dad had to wire a new plug, light fixture and light switch for the room.

We tiled the floor.

I did the grout which was a first for me but kind of fun to do.

At first we were going to finish the outside with cabinetry but Mark had a great idea to have the room tape and textured. So we hired someone to tape and texture the outside walls.

The wine racks are made of redwood and the room should hold around 500 bottles of wine.

Then came the trim moulding to finish it all off. I did the stain on the door which was a pain but worth it in the end and it was Mark's idea to do the ledge at the top so we could display all of our favorite wine bottles.

As you can see we have already started to add bottles and that is the end result.

So there you have it. Our first big project in the new house (and hopefully the last). Let me know what you think. It was a lot of work but over all I think we had fun doing it and are going to cherish having it for years to come.

6 comments:

Diane said...

WOW!!! It looks fabulous! The trim really makes it! Thank you BATMAN!
Now all you have to do is fill it up. Love you and miss you all.

Mom & Dad

Unknown said...

I know what I'm gettin you two for x-mas!!!

LOVE YOU!!!

Jude's Mom said...

Hey I found you! The wine cellar looks great... nice work.
I'll be back often, so be sure to post often :)

Kim Moraga said...

looks awesome Jess!

Kim Moraga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Batman said...

Roger's a stud! You can build me a wine room any time. Might have to build an addition for that one though....