Monday, June 23, 2008

Cakes and Pregnant Women

That pretty much sums up our weekend. We decided to have some friends over on Saturday for dinner. Matt, Abbey, Robin and Justin all came over. Abbey and Robin are both pregnant and do later this year. I have been wanting to try out the Marshmallow Fondant recipe so it was the perfect excuse to make a cake. It was the worst cake I have made so far. I made so many mistakes but I learned a lot. I tried a milk chocolate ganache filling. The milk chocolate takes a lot longer to harden then dark chocolate. I got impatient and tried to put a icing ring between the cakes and then poor in the ganache. Well it started leaking out the sides. I finally got the cake frosted and covered with fondants but it began to sag in the middle because of the ganache. Then I tried this sparkle frosting stuff and it completely didn't work. So I just sponged the color on the cake and then did the black pipping. The cake looks ok from a distance but it was such a disaster. It tasted yummy and I learned a lot so I guess that's all that mattered.

Then on Sunday we went to Chris and Tiphini's (she is also pregnant) house for a BBQ and she asked me to bring something sweet. I decided to try this baseball cake because I was thinking about making it for Brody's birthday and wanted some practice. This is the first non-fondant cake I have tried. It came out pretty good, again I learned a few things and am excited to try again for Brody's birthday.

So I'm really getting into the cake making thing. Mark and I are talking about putting a website together and seeing what happens. So if anyone needs a cake or cupcakes for anything let me know. I'm not sure on pricing yet but we'll figure it out. Also I need help naming my business. So let me know your ideas. Mark likes Tasty Treats and I like Not Just Cakes but we are open to any suggestions.

6 comments:

Judy said...

Wow, impressive; I bet Mark loves that baseball!
Judy

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

Okay your cakes rock- that's all I'm going to say... for a business name, hmm... how about "southern sweetness" or "southern sweets" or "jess' confections" or "something sweet," obviously I like the word "sweet"

Courtney said...

Jessica your cakes are amazing. My question is how do you find the time. I am just getting the hang of this motherhood thing and you are an inspiration that there will come a time when you are not constantly feeding a newborn. Budge and I will be thinking of a name.

Shara said...

Wow!!! These cakes are AWESOME!!!! As far as names go....hmmmmm....I will be thinking of a few :)

Unknown said...

Hiya!

Such cool cakes! you recovered that 1st cake. I can't even tell it was such a disaster! so I've been thinking on names and I like:


c a k e.


simple and to the point! HA!